Saturday, September 8, 2012

My application for a Partnership with Patients Summit travel scholarship

I've experienced an unnecessary healthcare nightmare, as I've documented in this blog. And because of that experience, I'm committed to doing what I can to reduce the chances that others experience anything similar. Affecting healthcare policy, the primary focus of the Partnership with Patients Summit, is a part of that commitment.

My focus, because of my terrible experience and because my profession is user/customer experience, has been on the patient experience. As Alan Blaustein states, "To achieve a patient-centric model (of healthcare), the patient experience has to be culturally central to the conversation and the solution." 

To that end, my healthcare blog has addressed not only my bad experience, but also the experiences of others, reasons for such experiences, and what might or should be done to change things. Two entries of particular note along these lines:


I address patient experience in my user/customer experience blog as well, where I've duplicated the first entry referenced above but also posted "A call to action regarding healthcare," an article I wrote that was published in UX Magazine. This article addresses some of what user experience professionals must do in order to play a role in affecting substantive healthcare system change.

I've begun to address these issues on stage as well. In April, I spoke at Creative Mornings San Francisco. Next month, I'll be speaking at EPIC 2012 in Savannah Georgia. I hope to do more speaking on these issues and have registered with SpeakerLink, a healthcare speakers bureau.

Though my healthcare nightmare suspended my consulting work, I was able to provide input to a project increasing patient input to national healthcare policy via social media in Australia. Once my consulting activity can return to normal levels, I intend to target related projects based in the U.S..

I've done a variety of other things as well, including volunteering to review PCORI funding proposals and participating in relevant tweetchats (e.g., #s4pm) and webinars (e.g., Achieving Patient Experience Excellence through Cultural Transformation). However, gathering together in person to address patient advocacy in a concentrated fashion is especially appealing. My attendance at Medicine 2.0'11 and Medicine X, made possible via scholarship, whets my appetite for the summit, since both feature(d) e-patients and their issues (see, for example, Medicine X's "Our e-patients" ebook, which includes a short profile of me).

So, I hope you will enable my attendance at the summit by awarding me a travel scholarship. I hope the words above reveal that I have the experience and commitment to contribute to the summit in a beneficial way, and I am quite sure the summit would help me to become a better patient advocate.

___
Note that the scholarship application instructions, requiring posting my application to my blog, are here.

Update: I was awarded a travel scholarship.

No comments:

Post a Comment